purchase an Extended Warranty/Service Contract?
· Peace of mind
· Allows repairs to be made when you need them
· Most include a Free Rental Car if your car is in the shop
for covered repairs
· Protects you against the rising costs of repairs
· Added resale value- most contracts are transferable upon
What to look for when purchasing an Extended Warranty?
True Bumper-to-Bumper Coverage
- if the plan lists the items that are covered, it is Not a bumper-to-bumper
plan. By definition, a bumper to bumper plan is exclusionary, that is, it
will only list the few components that are not covered. Typically these
include cosmetic and maintenance items.
· Wear and Tear Protection
- This means that you are covered for parts that break as well as those
that wear out. All covered parts in a policy should include a "wear
and tear" provision. A lot of plans have wear and tear exclusions,
such as struts, piston rings, valves or other expensive components that
wear out and will not be covered. Beware of "Mechanical Breakdown"
plans, they often have wear-and-tear exclusions, thus offering you less
- Look for a plan that does not exclude damage due to overheating.
· Roadside Assistance
- You want a plan that offers a Free nationwide Roadside Assistance plan.
You want to be covered per occurrence. Not an out of pocket reimbursement
plan, that is tied to only covered repairs. A good policy includes:
Emergency Road Service * Towing * Mechanical First Aid * Emergency Tire
Service * Battery Assistance * Gasoline Delivery * Fluid Delivery * Emergency
Lock-out Service * Nationwide Coverage * Toll Free 800 Number * 24 Hours
a Day/365 Days a Year
· Car Rental
- Should your vehicle have to remain overnight for a covered repair.
· Trip Interruption - Should your vehicle become disabled
more than 100 miles away from home and the repair is covered under your
contract, reimbursement for lodging and meals.
· Nationwide Protection
- Repairs can be made at any repair facility in the US or Canada.
· Choice of Deductibles
- Most automobile plans offer $0, $50 and $100 deductible options. ·
Renewals - A plan that may be renewed for continuous one-year terms for
as long as you own your vehicle.
- The ability to transfer your coverage when you sell your vehicle, for
a modest fee, which will increase your vehicle's resale value.